Join Free
+ Reply to Thread

Caching images question, maybe Prosperent can help

I'm caching images on my disk, a simple "if not exist on disk download from prosperent then send image to browser" type thing. No redirecting (I wouldn't want to redirect)

I have a library of a few hundred thousand images now, and would like to have them start loading off of a "cookie-less" domain, ie, I'm going to be using a subdomain to point to my images directory. This will partially help my pagespeed scores and get my site loading faster as technically the browser is then querying more than 1 domain for data.

However, I don't want to lose the ability to download new images off of prosperent for my site when new stuff becomes available. I also intend on refreshing my image cache every so often. So can't make the domain change unless I somehow figure out how to keep downloading new images?

Any ideas would be awesome. My brain is stuck atm and been awake since 3am

was easier than I thought, I just had to make my "cdn.domain.com" point to the same home directory as "domain.com" for the image caching code to run automatically

I would also place cloudflare in front of your image cache as an extra layer of caching. That alone will save you 2/3rds of your bandwidth. We use cloudflare heavily these days, and it pays off. We save several TB's a month in bandwidth.

thanks, yea I've been doing that. seems like my image caching script isn't really working that well, the expiry (even though I explicitly set it, including Etags) doesn't appear to work and it's still a bit too slow to my liking, need to be able to serve it up faster with proper headers so it can cache properly and not be a little bitch

Quote Originally Posted by prosperent brian View Post
    I would also place cloudflare in front of your image cache as an extra layer of caching. That alone will save you 2/3rds of your bandwidth. We use cloudflare heavily these days, and it pays off. We save several TB's a month in bandwidth.
    Can you please show a tutorial how to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by nicegift View Post
    Can you please show a tutorial how to do this?
    No tutorial required really. Go to cloudflare.com, sign up for an account. Follow their on screen instructions. Profit