Join Free

View Poll Results: Prefered way grid view and list view work.

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Admin Option

1 33.33%
  • User Option

2 66.67%
  • Depending on searchQuery Length (Talked about more in thread)

0 0%
  • Other (List it in the thread)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Wordpress Plugin Suite Feature Requests

We can use this thread to suggest features for the Plugin Suite.

Brandon keeps a current list of requests (with a status) in a locked thread here:
    http://community.prosperent.com/show...=9104#post9104

1) Advanced option setting to remove plugin records from wp_options table. This would allow users to do a clean uninstall. Too many plugins leave residual records in the database. Not only would it help people keep their database cleaner, it would allow a user to do a real uninstall and do a clean install. That can sometimes help resolve problems.

2) min/max price - Both as a site wide option and as a search option for visitor input. As visitor input, it should override the site wide option.

3) Control the number of characters in the description before overflow gets hidden. I noticed thenetpool shows more of the description than my plugin test sites.

4) Show full description on the single product page. thenetpool does this, but the plugin currently truncates the description at the same point where overflow is hidden.

5) Capture recent product searches and widget to put them in.

6)Grid view

7) Templates using tokens, the ability to call a separate template file, both ...
    Last edited by bigshell; 07-31-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Price sorts are only useful for long tail phrases. Short tail is too vague. Research shows that people searching short phrases aren't interested in making a purchase anyway.

The above example was exactly that, a simple example, not a live site example.

I use price sort and price range quite a bit when I shop. When I want a kitchen faucet, I want to see what is out there in the price range I'm willing to pay and I like to search from lowest price to highest price. I imagine some folks looking for a handbag or a shoulder bag or a clutch handbag might want to do the same.

Even if you have a site focuced on something like wireless all-in-one laser printers you might want to set a price high enough to filter out toner cartridges.

Many online stores have price filters. I bet they put them there because they work.

Putting site-wide price filters in place can also make your site a little more unique since you might end up displaying different products than another site with different (or no) filters.

Not a big deal if you don't put them in. I'm sure I can find a way to do it on my own, I just thought it would be something folks could use.

Blog Entries
    From a marketing perspective, it's better to advertise that the plugin is capable of doing everything Prosperent has to offer than not. At least min and max price should be available to template developers even if its not used in the stock template.

"The greatest limitation in coding is imagination."
    -- Amazon Browse Node Database: .
    -- Create a Free Publisher Account

3) Control the number of characters in the description before overflow gets hidden. I noticed thenetpool shows more of the description than my plugin test sites.

4) Show full description on the single product page. thenetpool does this, but the plugin currently truncates the description at the same point where overflow is hidden.

I still agree that a price sort should be a feature, don't get me wrong. Also agree on the description truncation on the product detail pages. It should show full details.

When you say price sort, I hope you are thinking price range as well. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that is a tool I use a lot when I shop. I also think min/max price is a tool that can used effectively on a site wide basis, not just on the product search results page.

Blog Entries
    Yes, price range. It's important to have price range in order to expose everything in the catalog. For example searching will return the first 1000 items, true, and indexing will happen for only these first 1000 results. If there are 5000 possible results, only 1000 are indexed. Having an automatic price range set will allow access to the full result list (all 5000 items), thereby exposing more long tailed keywords for indexing. I think access to this functionality should be put into the code and at least it could be up to template makers to utilize it.

All you need to do is fire off a query restricting the price range to something like: $min = $lowest price returned * 0.15; $max = $highest price returned * 1.15. In this manner indexing would crawl up the results and crawl down the results, exposing long tailed keywords along the way.

This is another reason to have /products/ on its own WP page and /product/ on its own WP page. Noindex,follow /products/ and index,follow /product/.
    Last edited by NiTe; 07-29-2013 at 11:25 AM.

"The greatest limitation in coding is imagination."
    -- Amazon Browse Node Database: .
    -- Create a Free Publisher Account

I think a price range is more useful than a price sort. A price range can filter out the garbage in a vague query. Take the query handbags as an example. A realistic price range is going to start at maybe 40 dollars. A price sort is going to pull up a 25 cent handbag sticker that no one is going to be interested in. I would be interested in doing features similar to those found on http://www.findbuy.co/category/all?query=handbag for example. They do have a sort, but I think range filters are more useful for most shoppers.

I agree that price range is more important. While I often use the price sort when shopping, I usually use a price range first. This lets me see what the site determines are the best items within my price range. Sometimes, I'll see what I want, but since I'm cheap, I'll often do a low-to-high just to see what is at the low end of what I'm looking for. Options... that is what makes a site worth coming back to.

Doing this site wide as well as on the results page can help you define your site. If I am doing a site on high-end handbags, I might set a minprice of several hundred dollars. If I'm doing a cheap handbag site I may set a min and max price (no sense showing expensive handbags to shoppers looking for 'cheap'). Both examples would present the user (and Google) with different products.

I like much of what I see at findbuy.

I like the idea of price range, brands and merchants in the sidebar. While I prefer seeing a 'More' link instead of scroll bars, I like the idea of multiple sections.

I also much prefer a grid view to a list view. Sites like Pinterest are training folks to use a grid. Allowing the visitor a choice is good, but I would like to default to grid.

I also can hardly wait for reviews! I hope they include ratings. Being able to sort by ratings would be good.