Join Free

View Poll Results: Prefered way grid view and list view work.

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Admin Option

1 33.33%
  • User Option

2 66.67%
  • Depending on searchQuery Length (Talked about more in thread)

0 0%
  • Other (List it in the thread)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I don't think brand is ever provided in the coupon feeds from the merchants. It isn't a field any of the network supply in their coupon feeds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prosperent brian View Post
    I don't think brand is ever provided in the coupon feeds from the merchants. It isn't a field any of the network supply in their coupon feeds.
    Ok, that's cool. I know you can't render things that don't exist in the first place.

However, let's look at an example:

Code:
    /products/type/coup/merchant/FansEdge/
    Now, one would think that coupons particular to the merchant alone would be displayed. However, what I'm seeing is coupons related to other merchants, such as from The Vitamin Shoppe, Swimsuitsforall.com, TABcom, Google Maps, Books-a-Million, etc.

I don't know if there would be a way of getting brand-related coupons (or keyword/query related coupons for that matter) to be displayed in the future, though. It would require several API requests to get this information at the present time. 1. We'd shoot off a request to filterband and get a list of products from various merchants. 2. We'd send off a second request to see if these merchants had any coupons. 3. We'd have to do some custom cross-comparing and filtering to see if the any keywords found in the product titles match any of the keywords found in the coupon titles. Prosperent is an innovator. I'm sure that you guys could come up with something after you have addressed other priorities. Coupon sites like fatwallet do merchant filtering and category filtering from what I can tell, e.g., you can search for coupons related to new televisions or coupons offered from a particular merchant.

"The greatest limitation in coding is imagination."
    -- Amazon Browse Node Database: .
    -- Create a Free Publisher Account

You can do all of that already with the API. When you send over a general query you are sending it to all fields, so a match on any field in the coupon endpoint will come up. If you want a specific merchant you need to filter on the merchant field. That will give you merchants that only match the filter you applied. Same goes for category (where supplied). Not all coupons have a category, not all coupons have a coupon code, etc.

If these are filters you would like to see in the wordpress plugin, feel free to request them. We aren't going to spend time on features that the majority of users don't want or need, but this one might make sense.

So the merchants filter in coupons is a bug, I am removing 6pm and Zappos.com from the coupon listings and it seems that it isn't using any merchant filter at this time. I will get that corrected in the next update along with some sub-directory stuff and a PA fix for Cloudflare's RocketLoader.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the response Brian. I was thinking of how cool it'd be to search for something like Nike Shoes and seeing relevant coupons blended in with the product results. Some merchants would have a coupon specific to this query, others would not. I'd be inclined to investigate what the coupon deal was if I saw it. A little graphic or a little text like "coupon available" under the brand and merchant in the product results (in its own div class) might lead to higher conversions.

So Brian and I were talking yesterday. He has some data that shows the average number of characters that result in a purchase. Maybe building out list/grid view so if its under the threshold it would display in a grid view, since they may be more so browsing at the moment. Where if it meets or exceeds the threshold it would display the results in list view, giving more detailed info on the product.

Example:
    Threshold is set to 30 characters

-Never Summer snowboards
    Returns Results in Grid View
    -Never Summer Legacy Snowboard 159cm
    Returns Results in List View

Blog Entries
    Most shopping sites put list view and grid view at the users discretion. Now trimming down product titles for grid view to an admin defined limit would allow for more store uniqueness. I would use string length as a method than explode by space because some merchants tend to describe their produces without spaces.

I have no problem with setting a threshold to determine grid/list view, but I would also like a way for the visitor and/or publisher to override that and choose the view they prefer.

Blog Entries
    Deactivating/re-activating plugin to get it to work?

I'm not certain why this needs to be done every so often, but I wonder if there's anything that could be done to tighten this part of the code up? For example, [compare] works fine, but sometimes gives a 404 when clicking on an individual product unless I deactivate & reactivate the plugin.