Join Free
+ Reply to Thread

Using SIDs to provide royalties to site users

My site (in development) allows community members to search for products and Like the products they own or want/love. These Liked products can be organized in Lists. Other users can then discover products by browsing Lists made by community members. I'd like to offer community members the opportunity to earn a royalty for themselves (or charity) from products they've organized into Lists that result in a purchase when other users visit said community member's List - > Product and then go on to retailer to make purchase.

Is this something that would be an appropriate use of SIDs? I'm thinking each community member could have a SID associated with them, and then when a purchase is made this SID would be associated with that commission. When we pull the commission report, we could see which community member should be compensated.

Excuse me for not being technical enough to know but is that something that is doable using SIDs and the Commission API?

Thanks!

That's exactly what SID's should be used for. Build a database on your site with userid's for each registered user, then send over that unique id to us along with whatever other info you want to track in an SID. When a sale goes through, grab that SID from the commission report and assign the commission to that user. We did this very thing with theNetPool.com, so we know it works

Where can I get more information on:
    Using SIDs to provide royalties to site users?
    i would like to use it as a system for charitable giving on a new site.

What would you like to know? SID's are pretty simple. You send us an sid with each click:

id (Sub-ID Tracking) (Optional)
    sid=(You can use any string less than 255 characters as your Sub-ID)
    We then provide that SID in our reports for every commission . All of our products allow the use of an SID.

Thanks, Brian! Super helpful. Question about theNetPool.com: how did you manage royalty reporting and payments to users? Imagine we'd have to build some kind of account dashboard for users... but what was the approach you took for payment processing?

For the reporting side, we just pulled the data straight from our commission api endpoint, then displayed it in the user interface. For payment processing we only gave the option of using paypal. The paypal api is pretty easy to use, so we were able to get that running quickly without having to worry about offering a bunch of different options.

any chance u might make the netpool code public for us to use

Not likely. When we built it, it wasn't with sharing in mind. We really just wanted to test the various api endpoints to make sure all of the features were in place and easy to use. Our user table is attached to the prosperent user table for example, so you would have to rewrite almost everything in the back end. The code is a mess lol.

Quote Originally Posted by prosperent brian View Post
    For the reporting side, we just pulled the data straight from our commission api endpoint, then displayed it in the user interface. For payment processing we only gave the option of using paypal. The paypal api is pretty easy to use, so we were able to get that running quickly without having to worry about offering a bunch of different options.
    Cool nice and automated. Thanks

No worries, never hurts to ask!