Join Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tracking clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boutiqueshops View Post
    You don't know me. You don't know anything about me. Your comment is not appreciated.
    I don't think for one minute AcidRazor was having a go at you or putting you down but he is right in that the only way to really do well is to understand how everything works and that takes a commitment to learn what it is you are using.

Feel free to ask any technical question you like as the guys at Prosperent and in fact it's members such as myself and AcidRazor will willingly answer you. They do it for me all the time.

Good luck Boutiquesshops and I am sending you a chill pill! :-)

I have great passion for learning new things. I learn a great deal of new things every day. One of the things I've learned is to use tools that will save you the most amount of time while costing you the least amount of work. I wasn't the only one looking for click tracking; I merely chimed in my support for it to become a part of the reporting system in some way, in the future.

You don't know me. You don't know anything about me. Your comment is not appreciated.
    What andyscraven said. I'd also like to add English is only my 2nd language; Speaking/reading/writing several more. But I don't, for minute, misinterpret what you've said.

If you merely "chimed in" your support, why not say so? Instead you went off on how hard it is to learn things and how it's SO much more work for you to do (FYI, it's not as much work as you think, especially when you learn what it is/where it goes/and DIY). Nope, you didn't merely "chime in".

I know enough about you to know that you'd rather sit around and wait till some "tool" is implemented, rather than looking at some of my suggestions (which would be simple enough to implement yourself) to be able do it yourself in a few hours, and after, a few minutes each time you need it. I took you for a person who can actually learn these things. You even said so in your huffed up "I can like to lurn stuffs too!!" reply.

I'd rather learn how to do it myself. Things I do not know I have an interest in to get to know. The only thing we have on this earth is time. I tend to spend it learning things.

Even though my reply wasn't appreciated, I don't use the internet to validate myself or my opinions, nor do I use it to feel good. I use the TOOL that is the internet, to find and implement solutions (and create them if they don't exist, like nite did with Flarewall, an easy CSF to Cloudflare solution) to overcome any self-made obstacle I've put in place and help others who faces the same issues to get to their own solutions. However, I don't regurgitate step-by-step instructions.

There has been many times over my short stint of 18 years of internet and programming experience that someone came up to me, wanting to "learn" how to do something, only for me to realize all they want is for me to create a solution for them for free. If it's not in step-by-step instructions, they lose their minds, throw their toys out and label it as "gobble-dee-gook" and "impossible" or walk off with the solution, only to come back several times over for "help" because they never took the 5 minutes out of their day to learn what it is or how it works.

You make your money online right? Why wouldn't you embrace learning these things? It's your bread and butter. You remind me of SO many people that want to make a quick buck online, yet is willing to put in zero or little time learning. You may be successful in this, you may actually have learned a lot, but you snub your nose at me for suggesting you DIY? Here's an example of you merely "chiming in". "I would love for Prosperent to implement click tracking somehow too!" <-- A great example of just "chiming in"

And please don't appreciate this comment. I don't need it, nor do I want it. Now get your panties out of a knot, STFU and build.
    Last edited by AcidRaZor; 03-30-2014 at 11:44 PM.

I must agree (although probably not as vehemently) with AcidRaZor here as I have come across a lot of "so called" internet marketers that actually believe the myth that all you do is press a few buttons and the money comes rolling in.

I wrote and released a product called Demon Landers that allows you to create multiple landing pages very fast with zero coding skills. I released it with a ton of pre populated landing pages to get people started and still I would get a mass of messages asking if I had a Mate1 lander or a Christian Dating lander. It would have taken them 10 minutes to create it themselves AND I had training videos to show them how but still it was too much effort.

The other thing I noticed is that if it costs more than $7 they won't pay even though their dream is to make millions of dollars from the industry. So we have a bunch of lazy kids who are neither willing to invest time or money in to their business yet expect an easy successful ride.

I would be interested in knowing the demographic here. I am not a kid and have been coding for many years. I started in 8-bit machine code and wrote computer games and STILL I learn every day and apply it.

So are the lazy ones all young? And if so, why is that? I could go no with my theory but it has nothing to do with programming or Prosperent! :-)

Bottom line is this. You get out of it what you put in! It is as simple as that!

I don't understand what sent us off on this tangent, but I do want to apologize to all of you for causing the misunderstanding in the first place. I am not lazy. I actually work very hard, but what we do and how we go about it is different. That doesn't mean what you do is wrong, I never said that. It doesn't mean what I do is wrong. My 20+ years in internet, analysis and administration tell me that the end user needs to understand how to use an application without having to learn programming to get done what he needs to get done.

I only wish I knew how to make the API sing like you can. I NEVER snubbed my nose at you for suggesting I do it myself. I respect how knowledgeable you and some of the others here are. I get in there and read and study when I get a chance because I really like Prosperent. But what attracted me first was the WordPress Plugin as I have several WP sites. That's what put Prosperent on the radar for me. A plugin is just that...a tool for making something very difficult much easier for the untrained masses. A pencil is a tool that makes it easier to communicate than a stone and a chisel. I suppose I'm still thinking like the Systems Analyst I was before I retired. No, I never did learn programming well enough to create my own stuff. It still isn't what I want to do. That doesn't make me lazy. It only makes me different.

You say you know me well enough to say that I'm too lazy to look at your suggestions. No, you don't. I did look, I did try to figure out how I could use it, but it went over my head and I said so. You are expecting others to do things your way and getting angry when they don't. Or when I didn't, I guess.

Making a buck on the internet has never been easy for me. I'm sorry if you think that too. I've also met lots of those people you refer to as wanting a free ride. For me, it's just easier to ignore them because they don't last long when they see how much work it really is.

The demographics - for andyscraven; We bought a computer when they first came out and you had to use 5.25" floppies to boot the thing. LOL Together my husband and I learned as the internet (and MUCH better computers came along). We made sure our daughters learned too. Gradually, I became a tutor of sorts at the office when computers came to the office. I went back to college at night and became a "technician" first (nice generic name, right?) then worked my way up to a systems analyst for a state government agency where I did the rest of my time. This entailed converting my region from mainframe terminals to PC's on a WAN that could access the mainframe via software I helped develop (imagine that). I managed a help desk, coordinated maintenance and repairs (even doing some myself), wrote user documentation and taught inhouse classes for new employees from material I developed myself. In between all those years, I was an eBay powerseller (where I learned to bulk list with their lister and learned to use csv files). Joomla was a blast to learn then and I added Virtuemart to that. I may be experienced...but I'm no expert and I well know it.

I'm 56 now and some days my knitting calls to me loudly, as does my garden. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of listening to those calls. It's been a long and sometimes difficult path and I'm ready to make use of some tools to make things a little easier.

Again, I apologize to you AcidRaZor for causing this misunderstanding. And I apologize to Prosperent for causing any problems.
    Last edited by boutiqueshops; 03-31-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: remove extra line breaks

Quote Originally Posted by andyscraven View Post
    I must agree (although probably not as vehemently) with AcidRaZor here as I have come across a lot of "so called" internet marketers that actually believe the myth that all you do is press a few buttons and the money comes rolling in.

I wrote and released a product called Demon Landers that allows you to create multiple landing pages very fast with zero coding skills. I released it with a ton of pre populated landing pages to get people started and still I would get a mass of messages asking if I had a Mate1 lander or a Christian Dating lander. It would have taken them 10 minutes to create it themselves AND I had training videos to show them how but still it was too much effort.

The other thing I noticed is that if it costs more than $7 they won't pay even though their dream is to make millions of dollars from the industry. So we have a bunch of lazy kids who are neither willing to invest time or money in to their business yet expect an easy successful ride.

I would be interested in knowing the demographic here. I am not a kid and have been coding for many years. I started in 8-bit machine code and wrote computer games and STILL I learn every day and apply it.

So are the lazy ones all young? And if so, why is that? I could go no with my theory but it has nothing to do with programming or Prosperent! :-)

Bottom line is this. You get out of it what you put in! It is as simple as that!
    After re-reading my reply to her, I guess I came across a little harsh.

I sincerely doubt that she is young nor unwilling to work or learn. That's why I said it came across as if she was willing to learn, but then when I suggested it, it was like a big fat "hahaha no way am I learning stuff, Prosperent will implement it" type vibe. (FYI, click tracking has been on their "future to do list" for going on 2 years now, so I doubt it's ever going to happen as they're trying to corner the blogging market or whatever)

I think the demographic here (at least of those that contribute) is in their mid-20's and up. Haven't seen a kid do this yet, and if there are any young-uns' here, they certainly don't come across as such. Having said that, I can be immature sometimes

So no boutiqueshops, I wasn't having a dig at you, but your reply in thinking that I was made me angry. It's like when you tell a woman "I don't like big boobs" they immediately translate it into "I don't like YOUR boobs". One is simply a statement of fact, the other is some wild fantasy concocted due to some underlying self-image issues. And no, I'm using at as a pure example to show you what the difference was of what I said in the first place, and how you interpreted it to be So apologies for that.

I don't understand what sent us off on this tangent, but I do want to apologize to all of you for causing the misunderstanding in the first place. I am not lazy. I actually work very hard, but what we do and how we go about it is different. That doesn't mean what you do is wrong, I never said that. It doesn't mean what I do is wrong. My 20+ years in internet, analysis and administration tell me that the end user needs to understand how to use an application without having to learn programming to get done what he needs to get done.

I only wish I knew how to make the API sing like you can. I NEVER snubbed my nose at you for suggesting I do it myself. I respect how knowledgeable you and some of the others here are. I get in there and read and study when I get a chance because I really like Prosperent. But what attracted me first was the WordPress Plugin as I have several WP sites. That's what put Prosperent on the radar for me. A plugin is just that...a tool for making something very difficult much easier for the untrained masses. A pencil is a tool that makes it easier to communicate than a stone and a chisel. I suppose I'm still thinking like the Systems Analyst I was before I retired. No, I never did learn programming well enough to create my own stuff. It still isn't what I want to do. That doesn't make me lazy. It only makes me different.

You say you know me well enough to say that I'm too lazy to look at your suggestions. No, you don't. I did look, I did try to figure out how I could use it, but it went over my head and I said so. You are expecting others to do things your way and getting angry when they don't. Or when I didn't, I guess.

Making a buck on the internet has never been easy for me. I'm sorry if you think that too. I've also met lots of those people you refer to as wanting a free ride. For me, it's just easier to ignore them because they don't last long when they see how much work it really is.

The demographics - for andyscraven; We bought a computer when they first came out and you had to use 5.25" floppies to boot the thing. LOL Together my husband and I learned as the internet (and MUCH better computers came along). We made sure our daughters learned too. Gradually, I became a tutor of sorts at the office when computers came to the office. I went back to college at night and became a "technician" first (nice generic name, right?) then worked my way up to a systems analyst for a state government agency where I did the rest of my time. This entailed converting my region from mainframe terminals to PC's on a WAN that could access the mainframe via software I helped develop (imagine that). I managed a help desk, coordinated maintenance and repairs (even doing some myself), wrote user documentation and taught inhouse classes for new employees from material I developed myself. In between all those years, I was an eBay powerseller (where I learned to bulk list with their lister and learned to use csv files). Joomla was a blast to learn then and I added Virtuemart to that. I may be experienced...but I'm no expert and I well know it.

I'm 56 now and some days my knitting calls to me loudly, as does my garden. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of listening to those calls. It's been a long and sometimes difficult path and I'm ready to make use of some tools to make things a little easier.

Again, I apologize to you AcidRaZor for causing this misunderstanding. And I apologize to Prosperent for causing any problems.
    Naw I doubt you caused any problems for Prosperent

I apologize too. I guess my reaction to your reaction could have been a bit more diplomatic. Not calling you specifically "lazy" at all, that's why I said, my initial idea of you was that you were willing to learn (and loved it) and thought it very strange that you would somehow disavow what I said almost immediately. If you had any specific questions about my suggestion, I would have explained. Our expertise might be different, and the way we approach things might be different too, but a quick lesson from me would open your eyes to way more possibilities to what you're used to now

Even if it is to get someone on elance to do the programming bit for you, at least you know how it works and how to implement it.

So yea, let me know if there's anything specific that "went over your head" and I'd be glad to explain. Hell, I'll even startup my old blog again for quick tutorials on basics if you want. Then we can have a resource of sorts other people can use to try and get things running their end and together we make more money

I love a happy ending!!!!! :-)

Oh and I am nearly 54 so very similar! :-)

Blog Entries
    IMHO, the worst thing a person can do is simply install the plugin and expect to make money. (Unless of course you have a massive blog readership.) The reason for this is Google's tendency to de-index similar sites, e.g., similar in CSS, similar in link structure, similar in product description, similar in platform, etc. This was the problem with the popular Asdociate-o-matic script a few years back before Amazon introduced API limits. You'd have hundreds of sites that were essentially the same, and Google is all about value.

If you want to make money with Prosperent using the suite, you're going to have to edit and customize the code. Brandon has created a great foundation to build off of. Upon viewing the code and modifying it on a test domain, and more importantly after learning how to fix the code after breaking it, will you see how the various ways to customize it to be different from the pack. That's what I did on v2.0.1 of the suite, and after two months, I'm seeing around $10-$50 per day in revenue, all without promotion.

Now once upon a time, I didn't know squat about PHP, and if you read my post history, you'll see how this (among other things) caused me to be the little "red headed stepchild" in this forum. After that fiasco years back, I decided that 1.) no one cares if I made money (not should they), and 2.) if I was going to make money online, I couldn't depend on anyone else to help (why should they?)

That being said, the journey to where I'm at today was a long one filled with hours of Google searches and reading forum posts on coding. Acid, Zaphod, and the Prosperent team are all wicked smart, and it's best to digest what these dudes say.

The point of this post is to encourage everyone to tear into code. I'm not saying no one is doing it and they need to. What I am saying is that even if you are, the possibilities of what can be done outweigh what is being done. And to stand out from the pack, explore possibilities that others overlook or think are not important.

"The greatest limitation in coding is imagination."
    -- Amazon Browse Node Database: .
    -- Create a Free Publisher Account

I'm digging into analytics and is there no way to tell which clicks went to each merchant even?

Blog Entries
    What do people think about using Google Analytics for click tracking?

Would all we need to do is put use the CatalogId or Query as part of the onclick for all outbound affiliate links?

"The greatest limitation in coding is imagination."
    -- Amazon Browse Node Database: .
    -- Create a Free Publisher Account