Join Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    There's only a small handful of merchants that show your affiliate number in the FINAL url after all the redirection takes place. That's just the way the merchant (or affiliate company) choose to have their end redirect urls show in the browser.

That does NOT mean your Prosperent affiliate number isn't being tracked.

For fun, click one of your "visit store" links and then stop the browser as it first tries to redirect to the merchant.

You will see a TON of stuff that prosperent is tracking - right down to what browser is being used. In that long string of stuff, you will see your Prosperent affiliate number.

Bottom line - what you SEE in the FINAL merchant product page url in your browser window does NOT reflect everything that is being tracked and cookies that are being dropped along the way TO that final url.

Did that make any sense?

Jennifer

Thanks, I think I was overlooking the fact that the initial user/potential buyer's computer cookie can be accessed by all parties and shared, as a way to tie everything together, and since the inital affiliate ID gets to the payer (CJ) who has both the affiliate ID and the buyers cookie, as long as the merchant passes the buyers cookie back to the payer (CJ) upon making a purchase then CJ has all they need. The vulnerable piece then seems to be the users cookies -- as long as he/she doesn't clear out the cookies or get them overwritten by choosing the same merchant from some other merchant site, then the original affiliate should be able to get credit. As Seinfeld put it: "Look to the cookie Elaine, ..look to the cookie".

Now, if that's wrong, I give up! Thanks again to all.
    Last edited by tedm; 12-03-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Almost. close enough really, but for the sake of clarity...

The merchant doesn't actually do any cookie passing. That's all done in the user's browser. Cookies are stored in the browser and accessible only to the domain that set it (in this case, CJ).

The click goes through CJ, they set the cookie on their tracking domain with the click ID in it.
    Later, a purchase is made, and a one-pixel image is served on the confirmation page from CJ's tracking domain with the purchase information in it.
    CJ gets that request, logs the cookie info (which comes from the user's browser), plus the purchase info (which comes from the merchant in the tracking image url).

You're absolutely correct that cookies are the achilles heel in the equation. People can delete cookies, third party cookies can get blocked, and they can get overwritten by a subsequent click from another affiliate. That's just part of this business.

Geez, I feel like a dunce --I'm a programmer but I forgot the users cookie is only accessible to whoever sets it, as it is tied to their domain..and is stored within browsers.

I think I get it--not real familiar with how CJ ties in with the merchants, so its a little murky still, but I guess I know enough (to be dangerous!) and can read up on it time permitting.

You have been very generous with your time. Thank you!

No prob. That's one of the benefits of working through Prosperent -- you don't really need to be familiar with how CJ and the other networks work.

Though it certainly helps to understand, especially when things aren't working.