Join Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Block Bad Bots

If you put that code in htaccess do you need to put it inside <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> tags? I mean does that make any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by tykoon View Post
    If you put that code in htaccess do you need to put it inside <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> tags? I mean does that make any difference?
    Not really since you know it's there anyway haha

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post
    how many IP's can iptables handle before it gets slow/pushes your server down?
    You can just use ranges and have only a few entries that block an entire large range so you should be good in that case. As far as overall number, no idea.

Also I just have this at the end of mine: RewriteRule .* - [F]

Does it use less resources to send the bots to spam.com rather that showing a 403 page or it that just for laughs??

Still has to fire off apache and do the redirect. Same amount of resources. I used to do the same on my servers though lol.

Blog Entries
    Configserver.com makes a great and free cPanel firewall.

"The greatest limitation in coding is imagination."
    -- Amazon Browse Node Database: .
    -- Create a Free Publisher Account

It's rude to laugh at your own jokes, but I LOLed

cpanel = the devil
    That will fix all your problems, block all the bad bots at the firewall level, then install cpanel

i've been reading up on iptables and such (I use csf which handles auto-blocking of failed attempts to login and what not) and apparently iptables can scan the incoming headers of a request. I had an issue with DFind and I used:

iptables -I INPUT -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp --dport 80 -m string --to 70 --algo bm --string 'GET /w00tw00t.at.ISC.SANS.' -j DROP

to block it. I'm sure you can modify it to check for user-agent info?