Join Free
+ Reply to Thread

totalRecordsAvailable vs totalRecordsFound

It is probably very base question, but from the docs I did not understand the difference between those 2 fields.
    totalRecordsAvailable: Total records available to you.
    totalRecordsFound: Total records available in our data feed that match your search.

When a founded record is not available to me?

Thanks,
    Tal

It is a search engine, so this is no different than a google search. THere may be a billion results for a query, but you can only view the first 1,000 because that is all that has been processed and retrieved. In a search engine, it is not possible to retrieve all records (nor would you ever want to)

Quote Originally Posted by prosperent brian View Post
    It is a search engine, so this is no different than a google search. THere may be a billion results for a query, but you can only view the first 1,000 because that is all that has been processed and retrieved. In a search engine, it is not possible to retrieve all records (nor would you ever want to)
    Is the totalRecordsAvailable an initial limit or a permanent limit to new users?

I understand the concept and the reason, however, I think it's a bit misleading. Initially, I thought totalRecordsAvailable is the most you can return in a single call (the limit is what you can set yourself as part of the query). If I'm looking for Halloween Costume, for example, and already went through records 1 thru 1000 but want to see records 1001 thru 1050 how am I able to get to it? I figure page 20 with a limit of 50 returned items 950 thru 1000 but when I try page 21, I get nothing. That defeats the purpose of having a totalRecordsFound and there's no way for me to know what keywords to use to limit the records to what's hidden beyond 1000 and at the same time not overlap what I already saw as well. I can understand the search engine concept but if you apply it here, it would mean any item with keywords matching Halloween Costume will never get touched or sold because no one will ever be able to see it? Is there an alternative? I'd like to be able to list more than just the 1st 1000, especially if many turned out to be the same. Sorry, might not be the case for this site and I didn't really go through all 1000 records either, just a suggestion for my site since it lists 50 items at a time and 20 pages is a rather small number.

Thanks,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveShopin View Post
    Is the totalRecordsAvailable an initial limit or a permanent limit to new users?

I understand the concept and the reason, however, I think it's a bit misleading. Initially, I thought totalRecordsAvailable is the most you can return in a single call (the limit is what you can set yourself as part of the query). If I'm looking for Halloween Costume, for example, and already went through records 1 thru 1000 but want to see records 1001 thru 1050 how am I able to get to it? I figure page 20 with a limit of 50 returned items 950 thru 1000 but when I try page 21, I get nothing. That defeats the purpose of having a totalRecordsFound and there's no way for me to know what keywords to use to limit the records to what's hidden beyond 1000 and at the same time not overlap what I already saw as well. I can understand the search engine concept but if you apply it here, it would mean any item with keywords matching Halloween Costume will never get touched or sold because no one will ever be able to see it? Is there an alternative? I'd like to be able to list more than just the 1st 1000, especially if many turned out to be the same. Sorry, might not be the case for this site and I didn't really go through all 1000 records either, just a suggestion for my site since it lists 50 items at a time and 20 pages is a rather small number.

Thanks,
    Tony
    Go to google. Search for something generic like "car parts".

You will see it return this:

About 129 000 000 results (0,63 seconds)
    They only allow you to page 34. That's 10 records per page. So Google returns 340 results, out of 129 000 000 results found.

Understand that concept? not even google does what you suggest it should do

Now apply to totalRecordsAvailable.

You are now enlightened. Please deposit your $5 into my account. kthanksbye

I agree, if I was searching for something to buy, I likely wouldn't go through everything. But I'm not looking for something to buy, I'm looking for something to sell. If you can answer this question, then I'll accept your $5 and give you $5 more. There are 20 merchants, each with 100 "halloween costumes" for sale, that's a total of 2000 items for sale. My job is to advertise all "halloween costumes" available for sale. Easy enough, just use the product api to query "halloween costumes" but wait, I can only get the 1st 1000 items because that's more than what one reasonable person would ever want to look at. From a merchant's perspective, well, if my item was returned as item 1001 or above, guess I'm screwed because my item will never be listed unless I can find out how the items are sorted so that, not only can I push my items to the top of the list, but also make it within the 1000 limit so it can be listed. This is what SEO is for but that shouldn't apply business to business, only user to business.

Please don't use the argument that I can limit by merchant or by category or price, etc. Quite frankly, that would make it much worse on the api because now I must go through this keyword plus a bunch more filters, hitting the api a dozen more times unnecessarily because now I have to try each merchant or each category or different price ranges to keep the limit within 1000. As a developer myself, I understand we must put some limit else users will overload the system. The smart way to do this is to take away the totalRecordsAvailable and give the "limit" a max limit of say only 200 items can be returned in a single query while the default is 10, like it currently is. Now how about a coffee for you're enlightened.

I doubt someone would search for all halloween costumes, they are going to narrow it down somehow, adult halloween costumes or child halloween costumes. And I would even imagine they would get more specific. If you go to a party store, they usually break it down into categories, which could just be other queries, such as scary adult halloween costumes, Disney child costumes, stuff like that. By breaking them up into merchants and categories I think it will help people to find what they want, then you don't have to worry about any limits imposed since you are getting the smaller pieces.

You're going about it the wrong way. If I'm looking to sell halloween costumes, I don't use their API to look for ones to sell, I use market research techniques (google searches) to find the best possible items to sell for this holiday season and have 100+ products ready to go. I then search them on the product API to see if there are equivalent (or same) products, write a price comparison piece (if my research took me to a merchant that prosperent doesn't have access to and their price is higher or lower I point that out) and I push that information onto the website with an option to search for more goods. Related items etc all forms part of selling successfully.

Look at Amazon. Do you think they just have an API that they go "here search whatever". No. They have entire teams (and a nice algo) finding products people would want to buy and then *feature* them.