Join Free
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm not sure what you are asking then. if two products are identical, they will show up in the keyword facet together.

Yes. They show up in the keyword facet. But they still show up as individual items when doing a normal search.

Thus only when you're in the product detail ("More Info") bit of the page, do you see the comparison.

With some comparison sites they indicate whether there is more than one merchant for a product on the search results itself.

Right, what you do is group your results on your search page using the data from the facet. We don't strip out multiple products from the results because not everyone uses facets. This allows you the flexibility to handle it however you want. We, for example are going to be showing a compare prices button instead of a visit store button in cases where there are multiple merchants for a product. This sends the user to the detail comparison page instead of straight to the merchant. All of the data is there for you to make the decision as to how you want to handle it in your own app though.

Cool, was just checking. Like I said, haven't played around with your code yet. I did find some differences in the result sets I get on my site vs what I get on thenetpool though, trying to figure out why. This is when searching for a specific item. Mine shows 1 result from the API (I don't use extended Query for normal searches), but with yours it shows up to 40 products starting with the 1 I specifically typed in as a name.

Quote Originally Posted by prosperent brian View Post
    Our demo site The NetPool now demonstrates the proper use of the keyword facet as a means to provide price comparisons for products. here you can see that a product with a keyword facet count of 3 has 3 different retailers selling an identical item. This allows shoppers to decide which merchant to purchase from and gives consumers a valuable shopping tool when browsing your sites: http://thenetpool.com/product/compar...e/Mbox+2+Micro
    This link no longer works. We've integrated with API now and return search results but display multiple of products on results pages, which I think is ok for now. However, on the product detail page, I would like to be able to show different retailers selling an identical item. What is best practice now to handle this price comparison?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by prosperent brian View Post
    Right, what you do is group your results on your search page using the data from the facet. We don't strip out multiple products from the results because not everyone uses facets. This allows you the flexibility to handle it however you want. We, for example are going to be showing a compare prices button instead of a visit store button in cases where there are multiple merchants for a product. This sends the user to the detail comparison page instead of straight to the merchant. All of the data is there for you to make the decision as to how you want to handle it in your own app though.
    This sounds like what we want to do, group results on search page using the data from the keyword facet. Question: if the search page also displays meta data of product, how would we determine what image and description to display (assuming that data is available from the multiple merchants for the product)?

You actually want to group by the productId. This gives you a count of the productId's for your search page so you can display a different icon or whatever when a price comparison is available. On the product detail page you can query for the productId's and use the first records data as the image, description, etc for the comparison, then show the price, merchant, etc for the retailers that carry the product.

ProductId's are based on the product keyword, OR the upc IF a merchant gives us one.

You might consider showing the comparisons, then showing "similar items below that". Since comparisons are pretty rare, the similar items often end up displaying comparisons in almost every case. Here is an example:

http://www.activegearreview.com/clot...jacket-review/

If you scroll to the bottom, we display the first 3 results for the query "Patagonia Super Alpine Jacket". This isn't a price comparison performed by grouping, but it always shows results, and it's fairly accurate.

Are they rare because merchants rarely use exact matching product keyword AND rarely have UPC? Is it SO rare that you think it is not worth implementing? It seems like a wonderful way to clean up the search results page, by reducing the number of duplicate items... is it worth implementing on the premise that merchants are moving towards including UPC more frequently?

We already have similar items, but are finding that the results are not that great.. maybe we need to tweak. Similar items produces good results when there's a distinct query like your keyword "Patagonia Super Alpine Jacket" but when it is something like "Tent" then it produces results that don't align well with user intent, it seems. Thinking about adding a price filter so that we would query based on keyword + price min/max, which would help refine results so someone looking for a $500 tent would not see a $30 ground cloth for a tent.

Thanks again, I hope this doesn't feel like I'm trying to be spoon fed, I'm just not a developer and so I can't easily experiment (have to pay to experiment ).

Actually nm. I'm an idiot. We're doing the similar items using category rather than keyword and that will make a huge difference. And I do want comparisons myself, as a user of the site so we'll go ahead and do them. No response necessary -- thanks!

I would definitely still do it. We strive for better comparisons via upc, and will continue to push for that this coming year.