Join Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Need ideas for another Prosperent store front script.

Hey there.

I'm an amateur PHP coder, and I'm coding a (new?) Prosperent store front script. Right now, I'm working on the back end of the script. (Back end means all the coding that happens behind the scenes BEFORE the API request is fired off, and AFTER the data Array is returned ... BEFORE the PHP is displayed as .html and .css).

I'm looking for back end requests.

Thus far, I have successfully coded the following (there's more that I've done, but this is a good start):
    1. Non-Latin to Latin based character translations in the Query BEFORE a request is made to the API, e.g., ... ''=>'S', ''=>'s', ''=>'Dj', ''=>'Z', ''=>'z' ...
    2. Word and phrase filtering, e.g., common stop words (like prepositions and conjunctions). This can also be a "naughty word" filter. The word list is in its own file so it can be updated, and changed per your particular interests. (Words are filtered from the query BEFORE an API request is made, AND the words are filtered from ANY resulting product information AFTER the data Array has been returned).
    3. Product result sorting according to Keyword (Alphabetical or Reverse Alphabetical), OR to Description (Alphabetical or Reverse Alphabetical), OR to Category (Alphabetical or Reverse Alphabetical), OR to Price (Lowest to Highest or Highest to Lowest), OR to Merchant (Alphabetical or Reverse Alphabetical), OR to Brand (Alphabetical or Reverse Alphabetical) ... NOTE: Only one sorting option can occur at a time.
    4. The ability to specify positive words and negative words. NOTE: "Positive" and "Negative" do not refer to a "moral" condition, but rather, Positive means "the presence of" and negative means "the absence of." For example, &kw=red gold green&-kw=black white, would look for the presence of red AND gold AND green in KEYWORDS while at the same time omitting black AND white from the KEYWORDS. BOTH Positive AND negative words can be specified for keyword, description, category, merchant, and brand ... SIMULTANEOUSLY.
    5. I have coded the programming for a "tag cloud" for the words appearing on the page. These words can then be applied to the filtering option of the initial query to produce new (and automatic) queries that are similar to the initial query.

At the present time, I have NOT implemented mySQL with this PHP script.

Questions:

How do you want the product data to be manipulated?
    What have you seen on other shopping sites that you want implemented here?

Possibilities:

I want to import some JSON data from Google Complete but I think it would violate some ToS, I'm sure. (What would be really Groovy is if Prosperent added "similar items" and a "did you mean" to their array -- HINT, HINT)

Anyway, I have babbled on long enough, and now the ball's in your court. Thanks.

"The greatest limitation in coding is imagination."
    -- Amazon Browse Node Database: .
    -- Create a Free Publisher Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nite View Post
    Anyway, I have babbled on long enough, and now the ball's in your court. Thanks.
    Haha, no the ball is still in your court dude

Personally, I'd approach this as a regular e-commerce site. The only difference is the way you're getting the data. So download a free shopping cart/e-commerce site somewhere and try to mess around with the database to see how it works. You'll soon get a good idea of what goes together, what data to store and how the manipulate the front-end to give you what they want.

Having "similar items" as an array? Well currently if more than 1 product is returned on a search, those are kind of like similar items right? I'd much prefer a "people who bought also bought" array, because that would be more specific to the item being viewed. So not only can you see coupon's for a specific merchant, you can show people what OTHER people also bought when buying that item. And I'm afraid, having worked with merchant data from affiliate networks before, that they don't provide that (at least not all of them)

What you could implement is a "people who viewed this also viewed these". Because all you need to do is then track the user clicking through products. So if he clicks on "nike air shoes black" and from there to "michael jordon dvd", with a flag (of let's say 5 people having to do that), it will pop up on "People who viewed this were also interested in this" section.

Enjoy PHP

And I very much doubt that something like http://google.com/complete/search?ou...ar&q=sony+tele

Would get you into trouble T&C wise since Google opens up their own platform to be used like that.

I'd like a way to create dynamic storefronts by brands. This can be accomplished by mfpmu but I am pretty terrible with coding.

I'd like to enter a list of keywords -

i.e - Shoes, Boots, Pants, etc etc

then I'd like to enter a list of brands -

i.e - Adidas, asics, new balance

Then have the script spit out landing pages based on brands

I.e Adidas Landing Page has category links to Adidas Shoes, Adidas Boots, Adidas Pants

Pretty much creating mini stores within your website for specific brands

YourShoppingWebsite.com/Adidas-Store/Adidas-Boots
    YourShoppingWebsite.com/Asics-Store/Asics-Boots
    YourShoppingWebsite.com/New-Balance-Store/New-Balance-Boots

etc etc

Disclaimer: Not sure if this made any sense, i'll drink my morning coffee and reevaluate.

Makes loads of sense, and you're right, MFPmu already does what you want, only it's geared more toward niches instead of having 1 domain with many brands available. I would create mini-sites per brand using 1 domain per brand. You'd need to be careful with naming the stores though since they tend to be a bit finicky about which keywords (especially trademarked) you can use in your domain name.

yeah many of my mfpmu sites are based toward a certain niche or brand (without the brand name in the domain). I do well with them. To do what I'm thinking of would not be 100% possible with mfpmu (unless i'm missing something). To have branded landing pages with custom links to products on each page. I.e The Adidas portion of the site has links to Adidas Pants, Adidas Shoes, Adidas Sweatshirts, while the Asics page has links to Asics Pants, Asic Shoes, etc. I think to do this mfpmu would take a lot of time and some clever coding. Maybe a custom token in the side bar that does [query] sweat shirts, etc... but it would be messed up with long tails. What i'm thinking of could be a great extension off of mfpmu and not a whole new store front script.

It would give me a giant (but organized) site and would easily let me pin point different areas of my site to link build for, ping, etc.
    Last edited by makavelimob; 05-03-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Also not sure if having a brand name in your URL matters, just the domain

So

AsicsRunningShoes.com <== No No

MyRunningShop.com/Asics-Store/Asics-Running-Shoes <== Should be no issue

Quote Originally Posted by makavelimob View Post
    AsicsRunningShoes.com <== No No

MyRunningShop.com/Asics-Store/Asics-Running-Shoes <== Should be no issue

That is usually the case and how I would set mine up.

I'm surprised no one has made a serious price comparison site yet with the api.

Blog Entries
    Brian, are you talking about a script that fires off a product request to multiple APIs, e.g., Prosperent API, Amazon API, eBay API, Shopping.com API and ranks the price from high to low?

"The greatest limitation in coding is imagination."
    -- Amazon Browse Node Database: .
    -- Create a Free Publisher Account