Join Free
+ Reply to Thread

Merchants with non commissionable items in datafeeds

This is a subject that most affiliates likely aren't even aware of, but it needs to be brought forward. Many online retailers in the affiliate industry include products in their AFFILIATE datafeeds that pay a zero commission. Now, last time I checked, we're affiliates, not a charitable non profit, yet no one seems to think twice or raise any issues over the matter.

To make things worse, you often don't know which products are included because their terms and conditions simply list them as "anything that is a non commissionable item", but don't explicitly state what falls into that category without further investigation.

On top of that, even if you have a list, you now have to somehow filter these out on a per merchant basis, and keep up with their ever changing list of items.

It's shady, and there is no other way to describe it. They know that no one can filter the data, so they get free marketing at our expense. It would be simple for them to filter on their end. It just doesn't make any sense (or dollars). It needs to stop. From now on, I am going to highlight any merchants that have these items with zero commissions here, contact their affiliate managers and ask for a resolution or we will drop them from our network. We push 7.2 billion impressions to these brands on a monthly basis, so I think they will listen.

Here is our first: Apple

Commission 1.50%
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Gift Wrap
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Gift Card
    $0.00 USD on Item List: iTunes
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Apple One to One Membership
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Shipping
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Bose Products
    $0.00 USD on Item List: New iPad - 2012
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Non-Commissionable Items

Note the "new" iPad is listed. What makes this ultra shady is that Apple KNOWS that the majority of the people looking at their products are looking for their latest and greatest. Also note the 0 payout on "Non-Commissionable Items".

...and guess what? They include the non-commissionable "new ipad" in their datafeed that goes out to all affiliates: http://thenetpool.com/product/Apple+...b95f33b5b84b38

100% back you on this. turn the screw on them brian

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperent Brian View Post
    Here is our first: Apple

Commission 1.50%
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Gift Wrap
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Gift Card
    $0.00 USD on Item List: iTunes
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Apple One to One Membership
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Shipping
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Bose Products
    $0.00 USD on Item List: New iPad - 2012
    $0.00 USD on Item List: Non-Commissionable Items

Note the "new" iPad is listed. What makes this ultra shady is that Apple KNOWS that the majority of the people looking at their products are looking for their latest and greatest. Also note the 0 payout on "Non-Commissionable Items".

...and guess what? They include the non-commissionable "new ipad" in their datafeed that goes out to all affiliates: http://thenetpool.com/product/Apple+...b95f33b5b84b38
    How the hell you plan to give back the promised 1% cash back on the Ipads? ????

Are you kidding? We are the cult of Apple. We should be paying them for the "privilege" of selling their products.

I'm just getting started. So, I think I will start with easier to rank products than the Ipad and Iphone.